“Guest or Master?” (John 2:1-11)

*Light of the World by Holman Hunt

The First Sign

As followers of Christ, every time we return to the Gospel, we see wonderful things in the Word, and we discover that Christ becomes a little bigger and greater to us. It’s something like Lucy’s experience with the lion Aslan (the Christ figure) in C. S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia. As Lucy looked again into his large, wise face, she said:

 

“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”

“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.

“Not because you are?”

“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”[1]

 

In this gospel John uses the word “sign” (σημεῖον). There are seven signs recorded in John’s gospel. Today’s story – the wedding at Cana – is the first sign (v. 11). As we know, a sign “point us to something beyond itself.” For instance, perhaps some of you saw the “Beach Service” sign this morning. The sign itself is not the service, but it points us to the service. That is the purpose of the sign. That is the purpose of today’s passage. And that is the purpose of John’s entire gospel:

 

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name (20:30-31).

 

My prayer is that as we work our way through the signs of John’s Gospel one by one, we may find Christ bigger and bigger and bigger.

 

Wedding without Wine

Today’s story goes like this: one day, Jesus and his disciples were invited to a wedding. In Jesus’ time, a wedding celebration was considered the pinnacle of life. Instead of a honeymoon, the bride and groom opened their home for a week. They were treated like a king and queen. Oftentimes, the whole town was invited. It was a community celebration. At a wedding banquet, wine was essential. In the Jewish mind of that time, wine was a symbol of joy. So in a sense, “without wine, there is no joy.” But in today’s passage, something happened. The wine ran out. “They have no more wine!” the mother of Jesus said. Running out of wine during a wedding celebration would bring shame to the family. But even more than that, it meant that the joy had run out.

 

Spiritually, a life without Christ is a life without wine. If we think about our own lives and the lives of people around us, sometimes the wine runs out when life seems to be at its best. We are healthy. Our finances are doing well. We have plenty of food. We have a warm place to sleep. We have family and friends. And yet, somehow, the wine runs out. The sparkle disappears. The joy is gone. It can happen to teenagers. It can happen to young adults.

It can happen in middle age. It can happen in our later years. Ultimately, it catches all of us. If you feel like your life has lost its sparkle, if you are still wandering and searching for joy and purpose, today’s story is for you.

 

Water into Wine

Many of us in this room already invited Jesus into our hearts, but oftentimes, we treat Jesus as our guest, perhaps even a very special guest, but not as the Master. There is a clear limit and boundary for guests. Guests are welcome, but they are not allowed to take over the house. They do not get involved in every personal matter – our family matters, our finances, our plans, our private lives.

 

And sometimes, that is how we treat Jesus. We invite him in. We welcome him. But we still remain in control. In today’s story Jesus was invited as a guest. But as the story unfolds, we see people who recognized his authority and treated him as their Master. First, Mary. When Mary told Jesus that the wine had run out, Jesus responded, “My hour has not yet come.” But Mary turned to the servants and said, “Do whatever he tells you.” (v. 5) Mary trusted Jesus. Second, the servants. There were six stone water jars, altogether holding up to 180 gallons of water. And Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water.” And they filled them up, not to half, but to the brim (v. 7). They showed complete obedience. Then Jesus said, “Draw some out now, and take it to the chief steward.” And they did. They showed immediate obedience. You see there was no logical connection between filling jars with water and producing wine. But the key is “obedience.” When we trust Jesus as our Master and obey him, he turns water into wine. He turns a tasteless, insipid, sparkless life into a rich, satisfying, joyous life.

 

Robert Munger tells a wonderful story in his classical book, My Heart Christ’s Home. A young man invited Jesus into his house. He gave Jesus access to the library, the dining room, the living room, the work room, and the rec room. He thought that Jesus had finally finished remodeling and was comfortable living there. But one day, he found that Jesus was waiting at the door. Jesus said to him, “There is a peculiar odor in the house. There is something dead in here, in the hall closet.” The man knew exactly what Jesus was talking about. He knew about the closet. But he had the key. And he wanted to keep it off limits. He certainly didn’t want Christ to see what was in there. In fact, he was angry with Jesus and thought, “This is too much! I’m not going to give him the key!” I wonder if all of us have our own “hall closet.” But, as long as we hold the key, Jesus is our guest. As long as Jesus remains as our guest, he cannot clean out the closets. He cannot make the changes in our lives. Only when we transfer the title of our lives to him, he turns water into wine.

 

The Lordship of Jesus Christ

If I say, “I am 75% faithful to my wife Joyce,” then I am not faithful at all. In the same way, there is no such thing as 50% loyalty to Christ. It’s all or nothing. Jesus is either the Master or a guest. Tim Keller once compared the Lordship of Jesus Christ to “a life-quake.”

 

When a great big truck goes over a tiny little bridge, sometimes there’s a bridge-quake, and when a big man goes onto thin ice there’s an ice-quake. Whenever Jesus Christ comes down into a person’s life, there’s a life-quake. Everything is reordered… any view, any conviction, any idea, any behavior, any relationship. He may change it, He may not change it, but at the beginning of the relationship you have to say, ‘In everything He must have the supremacy.’[2]

 

For me, indeed, every time Jesus comes into my life, there is a life-quake. Everything had to be reordered. Each time I struggled. But every time I surrendered and obeyed, there was joy. Let me share one example. When I came to the US in 2006, I had my own plan. I wanted to earn a doctoral degree as quickly as possible and become a pastor of a large church. So getting good grades was very important to me. I studied very hard, and I did receive good grades. But one day, the Holy Spirit convicted me of my sin. He reminded me that I had submitted reading reports for some of the classes without being completely honest. The instructions said, “Skimming is not counted as reading,” I had skimmed some of the required readings in a hurry and then checked them off as 100% completed. I had good grades. Not only that, I had borrowed other people’s ideas and pretended them as my own. But the Holy Spirit exposed what was underneath all of it: plagiarism, dishonesty, and ambition. I knew what the right thing to do was. But I struggled for days. I was afraid that I might be expelled from seminary. Then, I heard the voice saying, “My son, I can use you without degree, but I cannot use you if you are not clean.” Finally, I confessed my sins before my professors and my church family. Thankfully, I was not expelled. But my grades in some classes were significantly reduced. And it became much more difficult for me to pursue further study. But God gave me something more precious. He restored to me the joy of my salvation. For me, Christ still comes. There is still a life-quake. And there is still joy when I surrender to him.

 

Guest or Master?

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus says, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with them, and they with me.” There is a famous painting by Holman Hunt called The Light of the World, inspired by this verse. Look closely at the painting. Jesus is standing at the door. He is knocking, not forcing. Calling, not shouting. The house is his. He designed it. He made it. He bought it with his own blood. But he is standing, knocking, speaking from outside. Notice something else. There is no handle on the outside. The handle is on the inside. Christ knocks; but we must open.

 

So before we leave today, let us ask ourselves: Am I truly a Christian? Do I have the joy of Christ? Do I know the purpose of my life? And one final question: Is Jesus my guest or is he my Master? In today’s passage, everyone at the wedding feast experienced the miracle. Everyone tasted the best wine. But for many of them, it was simply a miracle, not the “sign” pointing them to Christ. But for Mary, the servants, and the disciples, it was different. They saw the sign. They saw the glory of Christ and they believed in him (v. 11).

 

And this is a journey. It’s a long obedience in the same direction. As we receive Jesus as our Master, walk with him, obey him day by day, may we continue to discover Jesus bigger and bigger. May the Lord fill us with joy, tears of joy! Amen.



[1] C. S. Lewis, Prince Caspian (London, Collins, n.d.), 124. quoted in Hughes, R. Kent. John: That You May Believe (Crossway), 483.

[2] Tim Keller, “The Lordship of Christ is ‘A Life-Quake,’” Preaching Today,  https://www.preachingtoday.com/illustrations/2016/march/3031416.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Abide" (John 1:1-14)

“Our God Is Able” (John 2:13-25)